Sunday 1 February 2009

Public transport

When I was at school (many years ago) my teacher told me that on the continent you do not queue for public transport. Be careful of the little old lady with the umbrella because she will use it against you when the bus comes. My experience of public transport in France could not be more different from this caricature.

A couple of years ago I was in Paris on New Year's Eve. There was naturally a reduced service on the métro, but after 7pm it was free. I had bought my carnet which made travelling very cheap but I didn’t need to spend anything.

The word to learn today is composter. It is nothing to do with gardening but means to punch the train or tram ticket. In Caen, the trams (like the métro) are very frequent, cheap and clean. There is no scrum to get on but il faut composter votre ticket.

A bientôt

No comments:

Post a Comment